URAC Best Practices Award in Consumer/Patient Safety for “Reduction in Regional Variation of X-ray Utilization”
National Business Group on Health Gold “Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle” Award
“Best Places to Work in San Diego,” San Diego Business Journal
Silver “California Fit Business Award,” California Task Force on Youth and Workplace Wellness
“100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare,” Modern Healthcare
“America’s 15 Fittest Companies,” Men’s Fitness
“10 Best Workplaces in San Diego,” San Diego Magazine
Seven-time honoree of Inc. 5000 “Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America”
“Healthiest Employers in San Diego,” San Diego Business Journal
Ernst & Young “National Entrepreneur of the Year in Health Sciences” Award
“Regional Entrepreneur of the Year in Health Sciences” Award (San Diego)
AHIP (America’s Health Insurance Plans) Innovators Award
Inc. 5000- Fastest Growing Private Companies in America
American Specialty Health, Inc. is a Health Coach III to join our Health Management Lifestyle Coaching Department. The primary function of this position is to provide phone-based coaching, education and support to members utilizing coaching programs. This position includes providing supportive accountability to members around the member’s health-related goals and developing a plan with members to reach those goals and sustain lasting behavioral changes gained through participation. This position also includes reviewing member files for clinical risk issues. Review may lead to developing a plan to help assure safe program participation related to those issues, communicating with others responsible for member’s safe program participation, and/or following through on program plan with each assigned member.
You are invited to learn more about American Specialty Health’s events on our events page.
• Master’s degree in mental health or related field.
• Licensed Behavioral Health Specialist with 2-3 years field experience.
• Certification in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy preferred.
• Additional job-related and company approved certifications (e.g. coaching, counseling, health education, nutrition, exercise, or mind body) preferred.
• Health or lifestyle education/coaching experience in nutrition, weight management, physical fitness/exercise, tobacco cessation, and/or relaxation skills (mind/body techniques) a plus.
• Demonstrated experience working with patients with mental health disease including eating disorders, suicidal ideation, post-traumatic stress disorder and other mental health conditions.
• Experience reviewing cases and making determination around patient stability.
• Demonstrated ability to create and sustain a supportive member-focused environment for behavior change.
• Ability to effectively utilize empathy and motivational coaching techniques to help members overcome challenges and achieve health-related goals.
• Ability to tailor coaching and support services to a diverse customer base.
• INTERNAL CERTIFICATION: Must complete New Coach training within first 30 days of employment including reading and other homework assignments.
• Coaches members as assigned, including those with special or complex needs.
• After receiving program specific training, following clinical protocol and corporate policies and procedures, provide primarily phone-based (possibly some video and/or chat/text) coaching and education to members.
• Schedules coaching sessions to meet department productivity expectations and to meet program performance and quality standards.
• Meets or exceeds department performance expectations for coaches.
• Using evidence based coaching skills and health information, works with members to set health related goals and develop and implement effective strategies to reach those goals.
• Creates and sustains a supportive member-focused environment for behavior change.
• Assures all communications from management or the Quality Assurance (QA) team are acknowledged and instructions implemented. Acknowledges and implements all program modifications resulting from QA team final determinations.
• Refers members to outside resources as appropriate. Manages time to ensure that appointments are kept and appropriate follow-up is done in a timely manner.
• Meets or exceeds company performance standards related to coaching skills, customer service, documentation, customer satisfaction, and positive clinical and behavioral outcomes.
• Manages time to assure documents and/or resources go out to members in a timely manner and according to department performance standards.
• Gathers detailed and accurate information on assigned member cases and enters data into company electronic systems and communication logs, including the established triage system.
• Enter member data into triage system and present members at weekly case review meetings as requested and according to department protocols and procedures.
• Reviews members mental health stability and makes determination for appropriateness in coaching.
• Answers questions submitted by assigned members including during coaching sessions, online or via v-mail
• Sends letters and faxes to physician’s offices or other referral sources as required by client contract or department protocol.
• Participates in Triage as requested.
• Maintains confidentiality of all files and records.
• For QA Case Reviewers, using company electronic systems, documents member goals, clinical data, behavioral outcomes, and administrative details of all assigned member cases.
• Provides support into department projects to meet corporate goals.
• Authors content for newsletters, website articles, and other projects.
• Sends outbound referrals as appropriate and assures outgoing forms and secure emails are delivered per department and company privacy and security protocols.
• Acts as a support to new coaches, performs buddy calls and answers questions in assistance to training, mentor, and supervisor team.
• Assist sales team as requested to perform mock/demo calls. Ability to perform professional client facing presentations, including the ability to present to clients with confidence.
• Performs literature research on the Internet as assigned and prepares summaries of data.
What makes American Specialty Health (ASH) such an awesome place to work? There are MANY perks, including:
• Offices located across the country in San Diego, Dallas, Indianapolis, and South Carolina
• Healthyroads Coaching® for Weight Management, Tobacco Cessation, and Healthy Living at no cost to employees
• Healthy vending machines
• An onsite fitness center and an exercise room, showers, and locker rooms at our San Diego and Dallas offices, plus discounted gym memberships through the Active&Fit® program
• Incentives program -- employees and spouses can receive discounts on annual health care premiums for reaching specific physical activity goals using wireless activity monitors and completing other healthy activities
• Corporate awards ceremony for employees, featuring an awards presentation that honors ASH employees
• Holiday and employee health challenges with fun incentives
• Onsite health education classes
• Wellness team
• Athletic event reimbursement
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is a national health services company that provides population health management programs including prevention and wellness services, specialty health care management programs, and fitness and exercise services to health plans, insurance carriers, employer groups, and trust funds.
Since its inception in 1987, ASH has been based in San Diego and now has regional offices in Dallas and Indianapolis. Currently, ASH has over 1,000 employees. ASH subsidiaries operate in all 50 states, providing access to contracted practitioners with administrative platform for clients. ASH clients include more than 132 health plans nationwide.
In addition, ASH offers employees many opportunities for education and advancement, plus an awards program that honors employee achievement in the areas of Quality, Customer Service, Teamwork and Innovation.
ASH has also been named among the 100 “Best Places to Work in Healthcare” by Modern Healthcare magazine, one of America’s 15 Fittest Companies by Men’s Fitness magazine, a National Business Group on Health Gold “Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles” award winner, and a California Task Force on Youth and Workplace Wellness Fit Company. More locally, ASH has been named one of San Diego's best places to work by the San Diego Business Journal and San Diego Magazine.
In addition to our more unique health care benefits, we provide employees with a wide array of more traditional benefits. They include:
• Medical, dental, and vision coverage
• Matching 401(k) savings and retirement plan
• 11 paid holidays annually
• Paid personal time off to be used for vacation, sick time, etc.
• Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance
• Employee discounts to local restaurants, movie theaters, fitness clubs, and theme parks
• Public transportation reimbursement (up to $75 per month)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Flexible health care spending account
• Software training classes
• Monthly seminars
• Tuition reimbursement
So why not choose one of its finest companies to work for? Explore our website to find out more about our company, our values, and our open positions. Start changing lives—and your idea of “work”—today!
Please click the link below to apply for the Health Coach III position:
If this current position does not fit your area of expertise, please visit us online to view our current list of available positions. www.ashcompanies.com
American Specialty Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP at the following website http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/ then scroll down to Federal Contractor Corner, Workplace Posters and click on "EEO is the Law".
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact our Human Resources Department at (800) 848-3555 x6702.
ASH will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the Company’s legal duty to furnish information.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers