URAC Best Practices Award in Consumer/Patient Safety for “Reduction in Regional Variation of X-ray Utilization”
National Business Group on Health Gold “Best Employers for a Healthy Lifestyle” Award
“Best Places to Work in San Diego,” San Diego Business Journal
Silver “California Fit Business Award,” California Task Force on Youth and Workplace Wellness
“100 Best Places to Work in Healthcare,” Modern Healthcare
“America’s 15 Fittest Companies,” Men’s Fitness
“10 Best Workplaces in San Diego,” San Diego Magazine
Seven-time honoree of Inc. 5000 “Fastest-Growing Private Companies in America”
“Healthiest Employers in San Diego,” San Diego Business Journal
Ernst & Young “National Entrepreneur of the Year in Health Sciences” Award
“Regional Entrepreneur of the Year in Health Sciences” Award (San Diego)
AHIP (America’s Health Insurance Plans) Innovators Award
Inc. 5000- Fastest Growing Private Companies in America
American Specialty Health, Inc. is seeking a Contracts Specialist to join our Contracts department. This position will support the contract management department of the Company. The individual in this position is not intended to practice law or provide legal advice and does not negotiate rates.
You are invited to learn more about American Specialty Health’s events on our events page.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, History, Political Science, Paralegal certificate or equivalent experience. Master’s degree in Health Care Administration, Legal degree preferred. If equivalent experience, high school diploma required.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in contract development and an emphasis in contract language negotiation and document management. Internal Company experience and in depth understanding of Company systems, policies and procedures preferred.
• Experience with health insurance contracts, managed health care, and/or working with health plans and employer groups preferred. Equivalent experience in a regulated industry may be considered.
• Proficient in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel). Proficient in SharePoint preferred.
• Knowledge of Health Care Regulations preferred.
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Excellent research skills.
• Strong analytical and expert writing skills.
• Ability to work as an individual and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated ability to issue spot and problem solve, and to assist with identifying and developing effective solutions.
• Assists in supporting Department and is accountable for all activities within assigned scope of authority. The specialist’s assigned scope of authority may focus on one or more lines of business and primarily includes, but is not limited to, the following:
o Employer agreements and related documents for new and existing business employer group contracts, group subscriber agreements, administrative/network agreements, etc.;
o Health plan agreements and related documents for new and existing business capitation and compensation service agreements, new administrative/network agreements, etc.;
o New product and program agreements and related documents;
o Agreements, amendments and related documents for Health Management;
o Provider, practitioner, or fitness facility agreements and related documents;
o Vendor agreements and related documents;
o NDAs, LOIs, MOUs, RFPs;
o Agreements related to internal operations, i.e., related to Human Resources, Information Technology, etc.
• Prepares and manages standard and non-standard form contracts, agreements, amendments and similar documents including, but not limited to:
• Acquires and maintains subject matter expertise with assigned clients in a constantly evolving contracts environment.
• Proactively issue spots to identify potential barriers to agreement language resolution and offers suggestions to internal stakeholders to resolve same.
• With supervision, prepares revisions of various standard form contracts, agreements and amendments, including but not limited to, group agreements, health plan agreements, and member materials, as assigned by Director or Administrator(s).
• With supervision, collaborates with the applicable line of business leadership team, committees (CCC and KPT), and other departments to develop negotiation parameters and strategies for use in the development of contracts to support existing and new products agreements and amendments. Modifies standard form agreements with revised standard options. Independently prepares non-standard modifications to reflect negotiated changes, within parameters approved by Director or Administrator(s).
• Works with Regulatory Compliance Department to: a) ensure regulatory requirements provided by the Regulatory Compliance Department are included in agreements executed in certain states; and b) provide contract information and support needed for compliance activities.
• With supervision, negotiates, and/or assists business partners with negotiating, contracts, agreements and amendments with external clients as assigned by Director or Administrator(s) and within parameters approved by Director or Administrator(s).
• Timely informs Director and/or Administrator(s) of urgent issues.
• Responsible for coordinating and maintaining and ensuring the reliability and validity of contract tools (grids, databases, etc.) used to track agreements and status.
• Maintains Contracts and agreements library of executed agreements.
• Supports administrative functions of Department.
• Provides Director and Administrator(s) with periodic contract status updates regarding client assignments.
• Manages client timeframe expectations and escalates concerns regarding ability to meet client timeframe expectations.
• Assists with training of new employees.
• Interacts positively with other departments and external contacts as needed.
• Represents Company in an ethical, professional, and positive manner.
• Maintains all information and material received from employer, clients, and legal counsel during employment on a strictly confidential basis. The sharing of any information is strictly forbidden under any circumstances with any non-employee of the Company.
• Maintains and learns computer and system skills necessary to perform job functions.
• Assists with process management including but not limited to tracking and filing.
• Photocopies, files, and faxes as needed to support job responsibilities.
What makes American Specialty Health (ASH) such an awesome place to work? There are MANY perks, including;
• Offices located across the country in San Diego, Dallas, Indianapolis, and South Carolina
• Healthyroads Coaching® for Weight Management, Tobacco Cessation, and Healthy Living at no cost to employees
• Healthy vending machines
• An onsite fitness center and an exercise room, showers, and locker rooms at our San Diego and Dallas offices, plus discounted gym memberships through the Active&Fit® program
• Incentives program -- employees and spouses can receive discounts on annual health care premiums for reaching specific physical activity goals using wireless activity monitors and completing other healthy activities
• Corporate awards ceremony for employees, featuring an awards presentation that honors ASH employees
• Holiday and employee health challenges with fun incentives
• Onsite health education classes
• Wellness team
• Athletic event reimbursement
American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH) is a national health services company that provides population health management programs including prevention and wellness services, specialty health care management programs, and fitness and exercise services to health plans, insurance carriers, employer groups, and trust funds.
Since its inception in 1987, ASH has been based in San Diego and now has regional offices in Dallas and Indianapolis. Currently, ASH has over 1,000 employees. ASH subsidiaries operate in all 50 states, providing access to contracted practitioners with administrative platform for clients. ASH clients include more than 132 health plans nationwide.
In addition, ASH offers employees many opportunities for education and advancement, plus an awards program that honors employee achievement in the areas of Quality, Customer Service, Teamwork and Innovation.
ASH has also been named among the 100 “Best Places to Work in Healthcare” by Modern Healthcare magazine, one of America’s 15 Fittest Companies by Men’s Fitness magazine, a National Business Group on Health Gold “Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles” award winner, and a California Task Force on Youth and Workplace Wellness Fit Company. More locally, ASH has been named one of San Diego's best places to work by the San Diego Business Journal and San Diego Magazine.
In addition to our more unique health care benefits, we provide employees with a wide array of more traditional benefits. They include:
• Medical, dental, and vision coverage
• Matching 401(k) savings and retirement plan
• 11 paid holidays annually
• Paid personal time off to be used for vacation, sick time, etc.
• Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance
• Employee discounts to local restaurants, movie theaters, fitness clubs, and theme parks
• Public transportation reimbursement (up to $75 per month)
• Employee Assistance Program
• Flexible health care spending account
• Software training classes
• Monthly seminars
• Tuition reimbursement
So why not choose one of its finest companies to work for? Explore our website to find out more about our company, our values, and our open positions. Start changing lives—and your idea of “work”—today!
Please click the link below to apply for the Contracts Specialist position:
If this current position does not fit your area of expertise, please visit us online to view our current list of available positions. www.ashcompanies.com
American Specialty Health is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP at the following website http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/ then scroll down to Federal Contractor Corner, Workplace Posters and click on "EEO is the Law".
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact our Human Resources Department at (800) 848-3555 x6702.
ASH will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the Company’s legal duty to furnish information.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers
OK to highlight this job opening for persons with disabilities