favorite this postContinuous Improvement/Plant Manager (Noblesville, IN)hide this posting
available weekdays education completed: bachelors
QR Code Link to This Post
David R. Powers Noblesville, Indiana 46060
As a catalyst leader, my passion is the advancement of organization effectiveness through clarity of purpose, leadership and human spirit aligned with continuous progress.
Strategic and skilled operations leader with extensive experience within the food and manufacturing industries serving world-class organizations with up to $44 billion in assets and $22 billion in annual sales.
Expertise in process optimization and continuous improvement methodologies, utilizing approaches including Lean and Six Sigma, creating wide-reaching measurable results.
Skilled in identifying process weaknesses and deficiencies and identifying effective solutions.
Broad understanding of safety protocols and methodologies and track record of significantly improving plant safety and reducing safety incidents.
Excellent interpersonal skills; communicator with ability to connect to all levels of personnel.
Strong project management talents; capable of establishing goals, formulating budgets, and leading teams to complete projects within strict time and financial constraints.
NOVIPAX, Indianapolis, Indiana
Plant Manager, Feb 2016 Sep 2018
Oversee, plan, and coordinate operations at two Safe Quality Food (SQF) certified plants, encompassing 22 production lines and 225 employees. Ensure plant meets applicable regulations for health, safety, and environment and food safety and quality. Manage human resources, oversee financial profit and loss reporting, and direct day-to-day production and packaging operations. Coordinate logistics, maintenance, and engineering activities.
• Increased productivity by $1.86 million, reduced scrap by 43%, and reduced downtown by 28% by optimizing methods and procedures and improving utilization of materials, machines, and manpower.
• Achieved record plant safety, decreasing Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) from 4.5 to 0.5 and reducing workers compensation payouts from $300,000 per year to $0.
• Reduced customer complaints by 78%, and improved on-time shipments by 20% and inventory turnaround by 25% through implementation of new processes, including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Leader Standard Work (LSW), and corrective and preventative action (CAPA).
HOSTESS BRANDS, Indianapolis, Indiana
Plant Manager, 2015
Supervised six production lines and 300 personnel at British Retail Consortium (BRC) certified production facility. Handled all aspects of plant management, including compliance with health, safety, and quality requirements, logistics for shipping and receiving, production and packaging operations, and product line qualifications. Headed new product development work and product trials and managed maintenance and engineering teams.
• Increased plant operations from three to seven days per week, while also achieving highest output days in plant history.
• Accomplished 50% reduction in customer complaints and 75% reduction of TRIR by implementing new processes.
• Realized second lowest cost profile in plant history by utilizing Lean Manufacturing approach, including Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE), Total Productive Maintenance (TPM), and Root-Cause Analysis (RCA).
• Transformed company culture, dramatically improving internal perception of managers, supervisors, and line workers.
DUPONT PIONEER, Tipton, Indiana
Plant Operations Manager, 2013 - 2014
Managed all operations at manufacturing facilities staffed by 100 to 220 employees. Centered efforts on successfully improving safety and quality, morale, productivity, and customer delivery, and on reducing costs. Led strategic plans targeted at identified areas of weakness and applied Hoshin Kanri methodology to develop and implement key performance indicators (KPIs) and site strategy, achieving measurable positive results.
• Implemented process enhancements in process stability and standardized work, achieving 75% improvement in production throughput time and 40% reduction in toll processing.
• Accomplished 72% reduction in safety incident frequency and 50% decrease in incident severity while supervising and coordinating safety-focused programs.
RED GOLD, Orestes, Indiana
Production Manager, 2012 - 2013
Oversaw all plant operations at Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP), SQF Level 3, and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) food manufacturing plant, with 250 to 650 employees. Systemized safety, customer satisfaction, and operational efficiencies. Coordinated internal and external communication, along with workforce improvement programs. Determined capital and expense budgets, promoted continuous improvement measures, and co-led successful SQF Level 3 attainment efforts, increased from Level 2.
• Reduced total realized production expenses by 26% below budget and achieved OEE greater than 90% while reducing staff and overtime expenses.
• Realized highest first-time quality (FTQ) rates in five years.
• Promoted safety, reducing recordable incidents by 48% through Behavioral Based Safety Initiatives (BBS), reducing incidents causing additional costs and days away, restricted, or transferred (DART).
• Reduced production costs by 6% by improving raw material utilization by 12%.
COLORCON, INC., Indianapolis, Indiana
Site Manager, 2006 - 2011
Handled all management activities at a manufacturing site employing 53 personnel and spanning three GMP/HACCP facilities, producing pharmaceutical excipients, film coatings, and food ingredients. Systemized and coordinated activities surrounding production, procurement, and maintenance. Oversaw storage, handling, and distribution of products. Led and prioritized workforce development, and quality and safety in production. Directed capital planning activities and expanded manufacturing capacity by over 200%.
• Improved quality by 12% and inventory turnaround time by 120%, and increased profitability by 22%.
• Reduced recordable safety incidents by 70% over four years, achieving zero incidents in 2010.
• Cut scrap by $500,000 per year, and process variability by 80% overall.
• Guided corporate leadership team that achieved company's first ISO9001:2008 site certification.
• Headed $1.5 million project to meet OSHA regulations in combustible dust safety emphasis program.
Maintenance & Engineering Manager, 2005 - 2006
Coordinated capital projects and continuous improvement initiatives. Managed production, budgeting, safety, security, and on-site IT activities. Established new maintenance systems. Invested in staff by developing skills in equipment repair and maintenance techniques, including Root-Cause Analysis (RCA), Reliability-Centered Maintenance (RCM), and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA). Oversaw strategic safety improvement programs, including contractor safety initiatives, and trainings in CPR/AED, First Aid, electrical safety (LOTO), and handling arc flash.
• Increased production uptime from 52% to 88%, yield from 52% to 92%, quality from 94% to 97%, and OEE 24% to 72% in 12 months by implementing changes processes and procedures.
ELI LILLY & COMPANY, Indianapolis, Indiana
System Support Team Lead, 2003 - 2005
Led capital projects and process improvement in multi-faceted leadership role in Technology Performance Group, contracted by Eli Lilly to pursue projects related to Right Information, specifically related to maintenance, repair, and operations, and requested to apply Reliability-Centered Maintenance (RCMII), and Maximo (CMMS). Analyzed Right Information flow processes and conducted new equipment validations. Headed specific staff skill development programs.
• Drafted Corporate Safety Policy and promoted MICRS utilization for over 6,000 items.
• Employed Maximo and MAVRIK to execute all significant DBA functions for two major projects, worth $100 million combined.
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
PURDUE UNIVERSITY - Indianapolis, Indiana
LEAN MANUFACTURING INSTITUTE, University of Michigan, 2018
PREDICTIVE INDEX MANAGEMENT, Red Gold, 2013
KEPNER TREGOE PROBLEM SOLVING, Colorcon, 2011
LEAN MANAGER, Modular Studies, 2010
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE, Eckerd College, 2009
LEAN - SIX SIGMA CHAMPION, AIT Group, 2008
FRANKLIN COVEY - 4 IMPERATIVES OF GREAT LEADERS, Thomson Consumer Electronics
RELIABILITY CENTERED MAINTENANCE MANAGER, Manager's Forum
OK for recruiters to contact this job poster.
do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers